We acknowledge the original custodians, the Wadawurrung people of the Kulin alliance, of the land on which our buildings of worship stand and on which we gather.
COMMUNITY NEWS FOR TODAY & THE COMING WEEK
Breaking the Fast together
Nine men of Crossroads congregation responded to the invitation from Hoppers Crossing UC to attend a men’s breakfast on Saturday 22 July. The Rev. Fa’ama L extended a warm welcome; Geoff G responded on behalf of the Crossroads men and all participated in hearty winter warming food.
This was an important informal occasion for togetherness in Christ, as our two congregations will come closer on the Crossroads site before the end of this year. 11 am on Sundays is set aside for the Hoppers Crossing folk to worship. (NT)
Justice Task Group needs you!
Today’s disciples of Jesus answer his call to act justly. We find support and encouragement by coming together for prayer, study and combined activism. Will you join us? Crossroads Werribee Justice Task Group meets bi-monthly to share mutual concerns:
- about indigenous Australians. We plan a visit to Uniting’s Narana Creations Geelong October 8. Come along with us!
- about resisting fossil fuel induced climate change. Our Group is part of the global movement working for climate justice, linking with people of local environment groups.
- about justice for asylum seekers on the limbo of temporary protection visas, especially those who are connected with Crossroads congregation.
Currently we meet on Zoom at 7.30 pm – next meeting Tuesday 6 September.
Contact Rob or Neil
Geelong discussion group meets
The recently deposed Prime Minister of Australia, Scott Morrison MHR recently startled the cognoscenti with an address at the Margaret Court start-up church in Perth, in which he acknowledged that Jesus is his Lord, above all governments and even the United Nations. Scott Morrison is being consistent in his view which is orthodox Christian theology since the story of the Ascension was written in Luke’s Gospel.
The Geelong and Region Progressive Christianity Discussion Group met on Thursday this week, led by the Rev. David Walker of Geelong. Topic was Dr Diana Butler Bass’s video address “Breakfast on Caesar”, reviewing John’s Gospel story of Jesus and the disciples fishing on Lake Tiberias (John 21). Diana’s radical take on John 21 starts with the clue offered by the name of the lake, formerly known as Galilee, and the city of Tiberias built by King Herod in tribute to the Roman emperor. John’s gospel story challenges the Roman Empire’s hegemony with the affirmation that Jesus is Lord. Caesar is not Lord, and his day will pass.
You can join this discussion group every fourth Thursday in the month, either in person at Waurn Ponds Library meeting room, 230 Pioneer Road Grovedale or on Zoom. Contact Heather Dennis firstname.lastname@example.org or Neil Tolliday. (NT)
Uniting Church Adult Fellowship
The August meeting of UCAF will be held on Wednesday 3rd August at 1.00pm. We are having a soup and sandwich lunch to start our gathering. Hope you can attend!
Help needed now!
FIRST AID OFFICER
Crossroads needs a volunteer First Aid Officer who:
- has a current first aid and CPR certificate (or is willing to obtain them).
- be able to access and manage first aid processes and techniques in a calm manner
- be physically able to perform techniques such as CPR resuscitation
- be aware of both your own and others well-being
- can ensure the first aid kit is fully stocked at all times
- be able to fill out incident reports and liase with the congregation and Synod to eliminate risks.
FOOD SAFETY SUPERVISOR
Crossroads will need a volunteer Food Safety Supervisor from November 2022 who will:
- hold a current Food Safety Supervisor certificate (or be willing to obtain one)
- ensure the kitchen complies with all relevant food safety standards
- perform checks on the kitchen for any breaches of food safety
- act as a point of contact for all food handlers in the church as well as food safety authorities
- ensure all volunteers in the kitchen maintain a high standard of hygiene
- consult on the preparation of meals at self-catered camps.
WORKPLACE SAFETY OFFICER OH&S
Church facilities and worship centres are workplaces and we are committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace for all occupants, such as employees, clients, congregation members, visitors, contractors and volunteers.
Crossroads needs a volunteer Safety Officer who:
- will coordinate health and safety systems.
- will identify hazards, assess risks to health and safety, put appropriate safety controls in place and provide advice about accident prevention and occupational health to Church council and the congregation.
If you can help, please contact the Church office ASAP
Help is needed now for our congregation to keep all our activities going!
What’s On This Week
- Monday: 9.30am Playgroup(Crossroads)
- Wednesday: 1pm UCAF (Crossroads)
- Thursday: 9.30am Gardening Group (Crossroads)
Bible Readings – 31 July 2022
Hosea 11:1–11; Colossians 3:1–11, 4:1–18; Luke 12:13–21; Psalm 107:1–9, 43.
Rev Annetia G
Judy O’K & Dorothy R
Rev Annetia G
Margaret F & Julie H
Housekeeping & Help
Pastoral care will be maintained during these difficult days but it is subject to the rules regarding access to hospitals and aged care homes.
- Rev. Annetia Goldsmith (9741 1084 email@example.com)
- Audrey Kateena (0435 064 088 firstname.lastname@example.org)
Audrey will be the primary contact on Mondays and Thursdays and Annetia at other times.
CHURCH OFFICE INFORMATION
The Church Office is open Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 12.00pm.
Telephone 03 9741 1084. Postal address is PO Box 2156 Werribee 3030.